Share Us

Monday, June 25, 2012

Ask Mike: Anti-Reflective Properties of Non-Glare Acrylic

Here is a question that we "Asked Mike" about last week. His answers are always enlightening.

I have a question about your different Non-Glare acrylic glazings.  I have ordered UV Non-Glare acrylic from American Frame and found that it still reflects light sources to a higher level than Non-UV Non-Glare acrylic that I have ordered before, which is fine for the pieces I frame.  


But I now have two larger pieces that I am likely going to frame through your site but I was wondering if you find that your Non-UV Non-Glare Acrylic reflects less glare than your UV Non-Glare product.  I say this because the two pieces I am framing will go in a room with a few indoor indirect light sources and it will drive me a little crazy if every light in the room is clearly reflected in the acrylic.  I am fine if they are reflected but in a less sharp way than your UV-Non-Glare.  


So, I guess the short version of my question is which of your Non-Glare products do you think reduces glare the most?  Your UV-Non-Glare Acrylic or your regular Non-Glare Acrylic or are they the same as far as reflection and sharpness of reflection goes? I am not that worried about sharpness of the pieces being reduced under the acrylic.


Answer:


According to manufacturer specifications, both NG and UV/NG plex have the same non-glare surface.We use Acrylite acrylic sheet.  Other companies may use acrylic from a different source, which may be more/less non-glare.


The usual question – was the non-glare surface facing out? When you receive your non-glare acrylic, the sheet will have a sticker indicating the correct side to face up. 




Notice the label: THIS SIDE OUT.  Using the wrong side will cause you to lose its properties.
The unlabeled side should be the side touching the art to make use of the non-glare properties of the acrylic.

No comments:

Post a Comment